Please be advised this is not an application for the role.
Protecting our communities, catching criminals and delivering an outstanding service to victims, witnesses and the public. A Police Officer’s role is demanding and diverse – no two days are the same.
We’re looking for people who have the judgment to make quick decisions; are confident to be first person in; have the compassion and empathy to help those in need and the resilience to serve the community every single day. In return, we offer you a good starting salary, great training experiences, opportunities for progression, the chance to achieve a professional qualification in Policing Practice and the pride that comes from helping others. You will become part of our policing family; dedicated to protecting our communities and identifying and protecting vulnerable people, preventing and responding to harm.
The Pre-Join Degree Programme is aimed at those who have studied a degree in Professional Policing. You will be employed as a Police Officer from day one and receive a starting salary of £26,280 (£24,780 plus £1,500 South East allowance). The Pre-Join Degree is based upon the national curriculum for the Police Constable role, therefore applicants on this entry route will enjoy a shorter ‘on-the-job’ training programme.
You will undergo a two-year training programme, during which time you will complete mandatory training such as personal safety and first aid. In Year 1 you will develop your core operational policing skills though a mixture of classroom and on the job learning. The initial learning phase of the course is held at our Headquarters in Lewes. You will then be partnered with an experienced Police Officer who will be your dedicated coach. Independent Patrol Status will also be achieved, enabling you to respond to incidents by yourself - but don’t worry as you will be continually supported throughout!
Your probation period will be 2 years and at the end you will be signed off as a fully competent Police Officer.
Skills & Experience
- Completed or be in the 3rd year of completing a BSc in Professional Policing. You must apply to join within 5 years of graduating
- Be aged 17 or over (on the day you submit your application). You will need to be 18 years or over by your first day
- Have been a UK resident for the past three years
- Be a British or Commonwealth citizen, or an EC/European Economic Area national, or a foreign national whose stay in the UK is unrestricted
- Have a full UK manual driving licence (by the time of appointment)
- Not have six penalty points or more on your driving licence
- Be prepared to work shifts including nights, weekends and bank holidays
- Not have tattoos which could cause offence
- Not be registered bankrupt (or have bankruptcy debts that have been discharged within the past three years)
- Be able to pass a job-related fitness test
- Be able to pass a medical screening and meet the minimum eyesight standards
- Not be a current or previous member of a proscribed terrorist organisation or group
If you have any questions about the role or the recruitment process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Sussex Police have a strong commitment to promoting equality, diversity and being an inclusive employer, with an aim of employing a workforce that represents and reflects the all of the diverse communities it serves.. We have worked really hard to create a safe, open and inclusive culture. We have a range of staff networking groups to provide specific support and advice and we are proud to be members of Stonewall and Disability Confident, and to be aligned with the Armed Forces Covenant and the HeForShe movement.
We value the differences that people bring from all backgrounds and communities so, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression, disability, social status or religious beliefs. We actively encourage individuals from under- represented groups to apply. To find out more visit our inclusion page. https://www.sussex.police.uk/police-forces/sussex-police/areas/careers/jobs/inclusion/